The Second of our Spring Talks was held on Saturday 11th March, 2017
Ted Howard gave an illustrated talk on Martin Harman, Lord of Lundy & Chaldon Benefactor. The thirty people who attended learnt about the man who bought an island and gave Six Brothers Field to Chaldon village.
Martin Harman was born in 1886, and from 1906 his parents and their large family lived in Chaldon. Martin left school aged 15 and joined a financial firm, rising rapidly to become a wealthy Director of the company at 33 years of age. He was concerned about potential threats of urbanisation to Chaldon, and in 1926 gave 6.69 acres to the village which he named Six Brothers Field. At the same time he purchased the Island of Lundy off the North Devon coast.
The talk reviewed his many contributions to the development of both Chaldon and Lundy. Martin Harman was instrumental in protecting the footpaths in the Parish of Chaldon.
This was a joint event with the Friends of Chaldon Church, to whom the proceeds were given, to help maintain the historic church building and mural.
The Bourne Society’s website has an extract from their publication Village Histories 7: Chaldon on Martin Harman, available here
The first spring talk of 2017 was on Saturday 21st January, in the Village Hall.
Forty people came to hear Liz Bonsall give an illustrated talk on Chaldon Mead, Fryern and the Golf Course lands, showing the history behind these places.