Henry Smith Chaldon Charity: talk: Saturday 9th November

Henry Smoth’s tomb, All Saints church, Wandsworth, South London.
Henry Smoth’s tomb, All Saints church, Wandsworth, South London.

Saturday 9th November, 2pm – 4pm: talk with tea and cakes afterwards. Chaldon Church, Church Lane, Chaldon
The talk by Ted Howard will cover details of the life of Henry Smith, a remarkable man, and of the many projects he supported before and after his death, including the modern role of the Charity in Chaldon.
Henry Smith was born to a poor family in Wandsworth in 1549 and died in 1628 at the age of 79 yrs. He was apprenticed to the Salter’s Company which produced and sold salt, rose to a senior position and became very wealthy. Henry bought many properties, including Knole House, Sevenoaks (leasing it back to the Sackville family), and he owned a very profitable iron business in the Weald. He was a great philanthropist and set up many charitable Trusts for the relief of poverty. These were particularly generous to the parishes in Surrey.

The original rules for the use of the money included:-
1. The provision of clothing and blankets for poor, elderly or infirm parishioners.
2. Financial help for the education of poor children or the support of apprentices over 15 years of age.
3. The provision of food for the poor on Sundays.
The rules have now been modernised and three Parish Trustees authorised by the Charity Commission are responsible for the distribution of the annual grants in Chaldon. The Henry Smith Charity is now one of the largest charitable funds in the UK and gives grants of approximately 27 million pounds per year. Henry would surely have been very gratified with the results of his philanthropy.

2pm to 4pm, £5 entry on the door, teas and cakes for sale afterwards.

Chaldon Church, Church Lane, Chaldon, CR3 5AL.

Parking available by the church. Please request disabled access if needed (rather than negotiating the steps into the Church).

A joint event with the Friends of Chaldon Church, to whom the proceeds will be given, to support the preservation of the ancient church building.