Water in Chaldon: springs, water carts, ponds and pipes

The programme for 2019 continues with the second of the Spring talks on
Saturday 30th March, 2pm to 4pm, in Chaldon Village Hall, Rook Lane, Chaldon.

Water in Chaldon: springs, water carts, ponds and pipes
Looking at the history of water provision in the village; how water was carried up White Hill from the springs at the bottom, where the twenty five ponds were in the village, including the important one funded by the LeGrew family, and the historical development of the local water company.
Presented by Liz Bonsall

£5 entry on the door.
Teas and cakes after the talk with the donations bowl out.

All proceeds (after costs) to the Friends of Chaldon Church, for the upkeep and repair of the historic church building.
A date for your diary:
Sunday 4th August: Summer Walk
Where were the ponds in Chaldon?

A day’s walk round the village exploring where its 25 ponds used to be and seeing a few that still exist.
More information including how to book available here soon.

Chaldon History Group: sharing the story of our village.

Spring talks 2019

D32DE50B-EC52-4BED-B24B-F8DEF5E5F46B
Saturday 23rd February 2019

Gleanings from the Estate Records, and the stories they tell

by Madeline Hutchins
The west of Chaldon parish (Tollsworth and Chaldon Court farms) has been owned by the Jolliffe family / Lord Hylton since 1788, and for a long period of time they owned much more of the parish, including Rook Farm and Chaldon Common.

Madeline looked first at what can be learnt from the Sales Particulars of 1788, and the Estate map (from 1768) attached to them. Then using material from the accounts books of the Hylton / Merstham Estates held in the Somerset Archives, Madeline explored details from the records that told stories of housing, sanitation, farming and woodland management in Chaldon in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

In 1877 the Estate earned a considerable amount of money from the sale of bark. The accounts include:

Samuel Barrow & Bro. for bark

350 bags of bark £140 3s 10d

194 ditto £83 6s 4d

The bark was used in the process of tanning leather. Samuel Barrow & Brother ran tanneries in London and Horsham.

E6F8370B-C03E-4DBC-A599-232E399D256D

The accounts for 1901 showed the architect’s fee and the amount paid to R Whitaker to build the new cottage for the gamekeeper at Chaldon (now Keepers Cottage on Doctors Lane).

0BA46E87-467D-4830-B75A-B339BB08BFDD

In 1902, the Merstham Estate accounts show £5 income from Mrs Ellen Harris for Furzebank. Ann Lardeur, who lives in Furzebank, 22 The Heath, off Chaldon Common Road, kindly showed Madeline the collection of deeds and documents she has on the house. From these it became clear that the Merstham Estate made a 99 year lease with Mrs Ellen Harris, wife of a builder, for the land, with a rental of £5 in the first year, then £9 a year. Mr Harris built the house Furzebank and later built three more on the plot of land.

90C0649B-4EC5-42C8-95D5-18CB9B683C3B

33 people attended the talk which generated quite a number of questions at the end.

 

Recollections of Farming in Chaldon

Saturday 24th November 2018

My Recollections of Farming in Chaldon
A talk by Roger Hammond

45 people came to hear Roger talking about his experiences of helping on a Chaldon farm as a young lad. Within his talk, Roger showed a map of all the local farms/small holdings in the fifties, photos of now out-dated equipment, and told some wonderful stories from his times working on the land with ‘memory sketches’, delightful drawings of some of the characters he encountered.

ROGER HAMMOND – A BRIEF BIOGRAPHY

Born 1944 and brought up in Hilltop Lane Chaldon, attending the old village school from age 5 till 11. Roger lived in Chaldon until he married in 1965, but never moved more than three miles from the village.

His interest in farming was sparked by walks as a toddler with his mum and sister, along Pilgrims Lane to Willey Farm where he fed sugar lumps to their massive but gentle Suffolk Punch plough horses, before glimpsing Hilltop Farm’s dairy and old Fordson tractor on the walk home. From then on he was a lifetime fan. Roger contributed a chapter: Memories of Farming in Post-War Chaldon, to the Bourne Society’s Chaldon Village History.

Chaldon in the Great War

034B264D-BE2D-4A74-AC5E-12776583CD80 The display Liz prepared to accompany her talk.
FAC35EC0-5399-439A-B9CC-4A6694DE323E Keith Robbins with his collection of First World War memorabilia.

0B2EE428-FF90-4484-8063-89B6F7DE32A7 The Village Hall filling up before the talk.

Saturday 6th October 2018

Chaldon in the Great War
some stories of a small village
An illustrated talk by Liz Bonsall to commemorate the centenary of the end of the First World War.
In the Chaldon Village Hall.

Forty five people came to hear Liz speak and see the wonderful range of photographs and documents that she had compiled with which to tell the stories of the men from Chaldon who lost their lives in World War I.

Liz began by painting a very tangible picture of how life was in Chaldon before the War for its small number of residents. She moved on to explain the changes and challenges that the war brought with it to those in Chaldon. There were the various War Committee requirements for listing motor cars, carts, cattle etc, and plans for moving everything useful and everyone in the case of an invasion.

Then came the stories of the men who lost their lives. All of them very poignant and some with a wonderful amount of detail gleaned from various official and family documents.

Liz has been researching and working on this material for five years, and this was a fitting culmination for that hard work. And very fitting too that it was in the Village Hall, opened in 1922 as a Peace Memorial, not a War Memorial, with contributions towards its cost made by every resident of the village.

£180 from the proceeds was given to the Friends of Chaldon Church to help preserve the ancient building.

Summer Walk 2018: Sunday 5th August

7C789A52-6802-48E2-BDDB-EABDA8F0AE59

Sunday 5th August: Summer Walk:
Farming and Land Use in Chaldon through the Centuries

On a hot sunny day, a group of twenty or so started off from outside the old farmhouse and granary of Court Farm, on a walk through fields and into farmyards across the village and to see some remains of farming innovations of the past,  finishing with tea and cakes in the Hazell Room at the church.

The walk included some time with Roger Colebrook who farms Court Farm and Tollsworth, and a look inside the old timber framed cartshed and collapsed barns at Court Farm. The group then walked on the farm’s track to Tollsworth, dodging the combine harvester and a tractor coming the same way.

The ridge walk along the North Downs Way led us to Hilltop Farm and a view of the long low roof of its old dairy building.

Geoff Hewlett, a Voluntary Warden for the Quarry Hangers Nature Reserve  (Surrey Wildlife Trust), led us through a route not usually available to the public including a recently cleared site.  Geoff talked about the management that has gone into restoring the chalk downland on this Site of Special Scientific Interest on our Chaldon boundary.

4CAF7FF9-6A63-45AE-819D-942C6D68DDE0

We saw some wonderful butterflies and wildflowers.

35E26364-3FC4-4491-9FD3-5590B4CD8DD0

Thanks to Stephen Slaughter for these lovely photographs.

After lunch at the Harrow, the group walked through Grubbs Wood, then up Roffes Lane and Chaldon Common Road and up the drive of the Golf Club.

In the welcome shade of a large tree, Liz Bonsall talked about land use on this area. Further on, in two separate sites, she showed the drainage channels and a sluice gate, evidence that remains of farming innovations made by the Metropolitan Asylum Board in the 19th century.

The route led past the site of where some stuff was tipped when St Lawrence’s hospital was demolished, and another site of an earlier Council rubbish tip, to the corner of one of the hay meadows of Happy Valley. Stephen Slaughter then led the group through Piles Wood, pointing out coppiced hazels and large stumps from felled trees. Madeline Hutchins contributed some information on timber harvesting and uses gleaned from the archived Estate Records of the Merstham Estates, held in the Somerset Record Office.

The walk ended with tea and cakes in the Hazel Room at the Church and an opportunity to see some of the documents and photos that Liz and Madeline had put together. These included a nineteenth century tithe map onto which Liz had written the old names of all the fields.

Plans for the rest of 2018

We have taken farming as one of our themes and are also commemorating the end of World War I with a talk about Chaldon people involved in it.

Autumn Talks:

Saturday 6th October
Chaldon People in the Great War, 1914-1918

A talk by Liz Bonsall

Saturday 24th November
My Recollections of Farming in Chaldon

A talk by Roger Hammond

Both talks will be held in Chaldon Village Hall, 2 – 4pm, £5 entry on the door.

Old Quarry Hall: Saturday 3rd March

668E599C-CCC3-4E6F-BD1F-07AD3255611F

 

Old Quarry Hall: a fairy tale building west of White Hill

Forty five people came to the Village Hall, on the first day of the thaw, after a week of snow cover in the village, for the talk by Gwyneth Fookes, B.E.M.,Vice-President of the Bourne Society, on Old Quarry Hall. Gwyneth’s talk included some wonderful photographs, particularly of the second version of the house, which was the most elaborate one. The house was situated just to the west of White Hill on the way up to the Harrow pub, a site now taken by three modern houses built after Old Quarry Hall was deemed unfit for habitation and demolished in the 1950s. It was a fairy tale building tucked into the hillside which had a very short life with only three owners, each with an interesting story. Gwyneth presented the results of research into the three owners of the house, illustrated by photographs of the interior, including drawing room, and the grand hall and gallery, the gardens, the dairy and the laundry. One owner had been a pioneering electrical engineer, before this term was invented and installed a steam powered generator.

Saturday 3rd March 2018

Chaldon History Group: sharing the story of our village

 

Chaldon Church Bells

 

Bell in porch, Chaldon Church
Bell in porch, Chaldon Church

This Chaldon History Group talk was a joint event with the Friends of Chaldon Church, and was held on Saturday 13th January in Chaldon Church.

Chaldon Church Bells – a seven century illustrated history

Ted Howard presented a fascinating illustrated talk giving new information from his recent research into the story behind the church’s bells, two ancient and six ‘modern’, and the links between Chaldon and the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. One link was through a church warden at Chaldon in the 20th century being a co-owner of the Foundry – Douglas Hughes (1917-1997). Mr Hughes arranged for the plaster cast replica of the St Paul bell to be made after it was stolen in 1970. He also made the altar rails in the church and reconstructed the rood screen in its current position between the south side of the chancel and the Lady chapel.

There were originally two ancient bells, St Peter and St Paul, and they are thought to date from 1250 or even earlier. The bell tower is above the south aisle of the church, meaning that it is likely that the aisle, the tower and the bells are all of the same date and represent a major expansion of the church.  It is also very close to the date of the wall painting c.1170. Chaldon was a tiny place and the puzzle remains as to who was investing such large sums into the church here in that period.

The St Peter bell was stolen sometime in the 18th century. In 1912 the St Paul bell was listed as one of only three 13th century bells remaining in English churches, and it was second oldest in the country.

The  scheme to replace the two bells with a peal of six ‘modern’ bells dates from 1887, and was planned as a celebration of the long reign of Queen Victoria. The process of raising the money and having the bells cast (at the Whitechapel Foundry) and hung in the tiny space of the bell tower (a 6 foot square) took  until 1902.

Seventy people attended the talk, and afterwards were treated to a demonstration of the ringing of the ‘modern’ bells (from 1902) by Pat Johnson.

This was a joint event with the Friends of Chaldon Church, and the proceeds of £416 were given to the Friends for the preservation of the church building.

1894 - St Paul bell in the tower before 1902 new bells

1894 St Paul bell hanging in the tower

 

 

For Sale: History from Sales Particulars

 

Tyhiurst: Auction 1928
Tyhurst: Auction 1928

FOR SALE: history from sales particulars of houses in Chaldon through the centuries.

On Saturday 4th November 2017, thirty people came to hear a talk by Liz Bonsall on what we can learn from sales particulars about house history, people, accommodation, and the surrounding area. There was then time to browse the archive of original sales particulars that Liz has brought together and organised. They covered the length and breadth of Chaldon, including maps, plans, ownership and photographs.

Some people brought particulars from their houses and these will be scanned and returned to them. Others promised to hunt them out and give them to Liz later. If you would like to share your sales particulars with us please contact Liz. We would really like to add them (or images) to our growing archive. We are hoping to make some of the material available on this website in the near future.

Wiley Park Farm: Auction 1969
Willey Park Farm: Auction 1969